Sunday, October 5, 2008

General Conference

General Conference is so great! I love to hear the words of the Prophet and other General Authorities. Kirk brought home some muffins yesterday so we could keep a tradition his family has.

It's hard to pick out one specific talk or thought that was my favorite so I'll share a few. In the first session today Sister Dalton, General YW President talked about our virtue. She reminds us to understand our own identity and to never underestimate your righteous influence on others. She also said to be the first to make a stand, even if you're the only one. I loved the way she spoke about importance of returning to virtue. President Monson spoke of the joy in life right now. He reminds us to find joy in the journey and to not let life pass us by. Russell M. Nelson's talk during the second session stuck out to me. He talked about the sanctity of marriage and the blessings of having a temple marriage. It made me remember how grateful I am to be sealed in the temple for all eternity with a man I love and adore so much! I am grateful we have a temple so close that we can remind ourselves of the covenants we made there. William Oswald taught us about teaching. I loved this talk because teaching is my calling. He gave us 3 guides to teaching; show love to those you teach and call them by name; teach from the scriptures; and encourage pondering on spiritual thoughts. And finally, Elder Quentin L Cook gave a wonderful talk on opposition. I'll always remember him saying 'I hope you know, we had a hard time.'

So, those are my thoughts on conference. I was sad that I missed Saturdays because of work but am glad at the spiritual feast I was able to partake of today. On a sillier note, here are a couple of pictures of what the other two members of my family we up to during conference. Trixie was fervently chasing a light under the coffee table and Kirk thought he'd learn by osmosis! :) I hope everyone had an amazing conference weekend!



No comments: